Kings Park and Botanic Garden is visited by around six million people each year. In order to get the most out of your visit, please refer to the Visitor Checklist below.
- Dogs are permitted in certain areas of Kings Park provided they are on a leash no longer than two metres. Dog owners must clean up after their animal and have their own deposit bags as they are not provided in the park. Dogs are not permitted within 10m of any playground area, on the elevated section of the Lotterywest Federation Walkway, inside Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park, and at the Kings Park Festival, Australia Day, ANZAC Day and summer events. Guide dogs are excepted.
- Portable barbecues are not permitted for safety reasons. Refer to Picnic and BBQ areas to locate free barbecue facilities and rubbish bins in the park.
- Sunshelters and marquees are not permitted regardless of weather conditions. This also applies for Australia Day and booked events.
- Decorations, music and games are welcome, but please note our terms and conditions to limit impact on other visitors and the parklands.
- Parking within Kings Park is limited and provided for park visitors only. Visitors intending to catch a bus or taxi out of the park, walk into West Perth or the city or use Jacob's Ladder must park in the city.
- Cycling is permitted on all main roads (40 kph speed limit) and along designated shared use pedestrian/cycle paths (10 kph speed limit) in Kings Park.
- Kings Park and Botanic Garden actively supports TravelSmart methods of travelling. Consider using public transport on your next visit.
- Keep updated on notices that will affect your visit to Kings Park. This is particularly important for all concert goers, visitors to Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park, weekend visitors and function guests.
- Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park is an educational, nature based play area which is not suitable for large picnics, parties or swimming. Please note the conditions of entry before your visit.
- For visitors with limited mobility, ACROD parking is available, with locations identified on Kings Park maps. Drop off zones are available in the State Botanic Garden, Wadjuk Carpark and Fraser Circle.
- Toilet facilities, drinking fountains and other amenities are provided in Kings Park. Refer to Venues and Facilities for further information.
- Have a question? Please contact us with any feedback you may have on your visit. For emergency assistance from a Park Management Officer, please call 0418 923 973 from 7.00 am - 6.00 pm daily.
If you are planning your visit to Kings Park and Botanic Garden or Bold Park, it is always a good idea to check the weather forecast so that you can be prepared.
Weather reports from the Bureau of Meteorology are published on our website and updated regularly but cannot be guaranteed as the latest information available.
Closures and Service Interruptions
In certain circumstances, facilities in the parks may need to be closed or restricted for your protection. We endeavour to give public notice to all planned closures and service interruptions. Where closures are dependent on the weather, the following general statements apply.
If there are Strong Winds forecast for the Perth Metropolitan Area - the Lotterywest Federation Walkway in Kings Park and Botanic Garden will be closed.
If a Very High, Severe or greater fire danger rating is forecast for the Perth Coastal Plain, Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park will be closed.
If an Extreme or Catastrophic fire danger rating is forecast for the Perth Coastal Plain – public access will be limited in both parks.
- In Kings Park, only the Fraser Avenue precinct, Royal Kings Park Tennis Club and Next Generation Kings Park will remain accessible.
- In Bold Park, only access between Challenger Parade and the coast will remain available.
If a Total Fire Ban has been declared for the Perth Metropolitan Area, or there is a fire in the park - the bushland areas of Kings Park, including Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park, and/or Bold Park will be closed to pedestrians.
If you see smoke, please phone 000 immediately.
If you are in doubt about the impact of weather or adverse conditions on your planned visit or on any event in Kings Park or Bold Park, please contact the Customer Service Officer during business hours or the Park Management Officer, available seven days a week between 7.00 am and 6.00 pm.