Perth will host the 2011 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) during 27-30 October 2011. There will be access restrictions and service interruptions in, and around, Kings Park.
Commencing 6.00 am Thursday 27 October through to the afternoon of Sunday 30 October, some vehicle traffic and parking and pedestrian access restrictions will apply in Kings Park, particularly in the Fraser Avenue and State War Memorial precincts. Part of Kings Park Road and Malcolm Street will also be affected by some road closures during this period.
From 27-30 October inclusive, there will be no general public access (no vehicles, cyclists or pedestrians) to the Fraser Avenue precinct or surrounding parkland areas, including:
- the State War Memorial
- the Fraser's Restaurant Complex
- and the main Wadjuk Carpark.
The following services will be closed on the dates indicated below:
- Kings Park Kiosk - closed 24-30 October
- Botanical Cafe - closed 26-30 October
- Fraser’s Restaurant - closed 27-30 October
- Aspects of Kings Park - closed 27-30 October
- Aboriginal Art Gallery - closed 27-30 October
- Kings Park Visitor Information Centre - closed 27-30 October
- Guided walks in Kings Park - closed 27-30 October
- Perth Tram Company tours - closed 28 - 30 October.
- City Sightseeing Bus tours and Indigenous Heritage Tours will also be affected, please contact them directly for more information.
Unaffected access and maintained services
Most Kings Park roads, most pedestrian pathways and most visitor facilities will remain open during the event, including entries to Kings Park from Saw Avenue, Poole Avenue and Park Avenue, and internal roads including May Drive, Forrest Drive and Lovekin Drive.
The following areas will be unaffected by the CHOGM event and associated closures and will be open to visitors as usual:
- Saw Avenue Picnic Area
- Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park
- Western Australian Botanic Garden
- Lotterywest Federation Walkway
- Synergy Parkland
- Zamia Cafe
- Lotterywest Family Area
- Stickybeaks Cafe
- Royal Kings Park Tennis Club
- Next Generation Kings Park
Normal access and service resumes Monday 31 October
The Aspects of Kings Park gallery shop, Kings Park Visitor Information Centre, Aboriginal Art Gallery and Fraser's Complex (including Botanical Cafe, Fraser's Restaurant and Kings Park Kiosk) will all reopen Monday 31 October. Free daily guided walks and Perth Tram Company Tours will also recommence on Monday 31 October.
More detailed information about these closures will be available closer to the date of the event. You may also be interested in the download and weblinks below: