The Rifle Range was the first permanent European feature constructed on this tableland and was built in 1862 by convict labour. The Rifle Range extended from the Old Observatory to the State War Memorial Concourse.
The first practice firing of ball ammunition took place on 14 September 1863 by the Metropolitan Rifle Volunteers. The Rifle Range was used for 29 years and remained in use until 1895.
|Features||Tranquil setting, great views|
|Access||Drop off via Fraser Avenue then short walk to venue|
|Parking||Short walk to Pines Carpark|
|Toilets||Opposite venue, across Fraser Avenue|
||Please contact the Bookings Officer.|