Fraser Avenue was officially named in 1931 in honour of Sir Malcolm Fraser, Surveyor General of Western Australia 1870-1883. An avenue of red-flowering gums (Corymbia ficifolia) was planted along Fraser Avenue to honour Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1898. Two more rows of red-flowering gums were planted to celebrate the State Centenary in 1929 and plaques placed at their bases to recognise the Centennial Committee.
Most trees succumbed to patch-canker disease and were replaced by lemon-scented gums (Corymbia citriodora) in 1938 from the east coast of Australia. During the 1970s the lemon-scented gums flourished. Today, the interlocking canopies form a majestic avenue that provide a well-photographed entry statement to Kings Park and Botanic Garden.
Members of the Honour Avenues Group maintain the plaques in a voluntary capacity and can be contacted for further information.