- Research Scientist (Conservation Genetics, Propagation Science and Weed Ecology)
- (+61 8) 9480 3655
- (+61 8) 9480 3641
I commenced working at Kings Park and Botanic Garden in March 2003, initially part-time, to research and develop a management plan for the control of Acetosa vesicaria with Bob Dixon (Manager Biodiversity and Extension). Since then I have enjoyed a diverse role encompassing ecology of Declared Rare flora, conservation genetics and propagation science. Prior to that, I spent 3.5 years undertaking my PhD based at Kings Park under the supervision of Dr Tissa Senaratna, Dr Kingsley Dixon and Dr K Sivasithamparam (Siva) (now Professor Siva) Soil Science, University of Western Australia. My thesis was entitled ‘Somatic Embryogenesis in the Western Australian Epacridaceae’ with the principle aim of developing a suitable method for propagating a particularly recalcitrant family of native plants.
- Research and develop a management plan for the control of a serious environmental weed Acetosa vesicaria (ruby dock). Fieldwork for this project was undertaken in the Pilbara region of Western Australia where the weed is becoming more widespread especially with the recent increase in mining activity.
- Developing effective methods for in vitro propagation and cryo-storage of the declared rare plant Tetratheca paynterae.
- Assisting Dr Matt Barrett in a research project on practical outcomes for the ex situ and in situ conservation restoration and translocation of the DRFs Darwinia masonii and Lepidosperma sp.”
- I have completed two years research focussing on developing a management plan for two declared rare flora Centrolepis caespitosa and Eleocharis keigheryi. The research encompassed seed studies (including germination stimulants), propagation methods, genetic diversity using AFLP molecular markers, and translocation proposals for both these species. This project was commissioned by the Department of Defence.
- A portion of my time is spent as the genetics laboratory manager assisting students with the laboratory component of their projects.
- Anthony JM, Rokich D and Dixon KW (in prep). Optimising conservation of Centrolepis caespitosa D.A. Cooke.
- Anthony JM, Senaratna T, Dixon KW and Sivasithamparam K (2004). The role of antioxidants for initiation of somatic embryos with Conostephium pendulum Benth. (Ericaceae). Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture, 78:247-252.
- Anthony JM, Senaratna T, Dixon KW And Sivasithamparam K (2004). Somatic embryogenesis for mass propagation of Ericaceae- a case study with Leucopogon verticillatus. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 76:137-146.
- Anthony J, Fox JED and Barrett DR (1993). Environmental effects on early growth of Santalum album L. with particular reference to shade regimes. Santalum. 13:29-47.
Unrefereed publications and reports:
- Anthony JM and Dixon IR (in prep.) Research and development for the control of Acetosa vesicaria- an environmental weed. Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, Fraser Ave, West Perth.
- Butcher PA, Bradbury D, Anthony J, Krauss SL (2006) An integrated research program focussed on practical outcomes for the ex situ and in situ conservation restoration and translocation of the DRF Tetratheca paynterae (Tremandaceae): 2nd Annual Report. Report # 37 from the Genetics Laboratory, BGPA Science, commissioned by Portman Iron Ore Pty Ltd.
- Anthony JM, Rokich DP and Dixon KW (2005). Research and development for the conservation of Centrolepis caespitosa and Eleocharis keigheryi at the RAAF Base Pearce. Part two. Botanic Gardens and Parks authority, Fraser Ave, West Perth.
- Anthony JM, Rokich DP and Dixon KW (2004). Research and development for the conservation of Centrolepis caespitosa and Eleocharis keigheryi at the RAAF Base Pearce. Part one. Botanic Gardens and Parks authority, Fraser Ave, West Perth.
- Krauss S, Alacs E and Anthony J (2002). Genetic provenance delineation of Bossiaea ornata. Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, Genetics Laboratory Report No. 17. Fraser Ave, West Perth.
- Krauss S, Anthony J and Alacs E (2002) Genetic provenance analysis of plant species II: phase one: pilot DNA extraction report. Report # 16 from the Genetics Laboratory, BGPA Science, commissioned by Alcoa World Alumina and Worsley Alumina Pty Ltd.
- Anthony JM, Panaia M and Senaratna T (2002). Somatic embryogenesis for the production of Australian plants for mining restoration with special emphasis on native heaths (Epacridaceae). Minerals and Energy Research Institute of Western Australia (MERIWA). Report No.M321.
- Anthony JM (2001). Somatic Embryogenesis in the Western Australian Epacridaceae Family. PhD Thesis. University of Western Australia, Crawley.
- Anthony JM (1997). Survival of Tissue Cultured Macropidia and Lechenaultia Plantlets in Simulated Dispatch. Bachelor of Science (Honours) Thesis. Curtin University of Technology. Bentley.
- Anthony JM (1993). Environmental effects on early growth of Santalum album L. with particular reference to shade regimes.3rd Year Biology Project Thesis. Curtin University of Technology. Bentley.