Dr Miriam Muñoz Rojas
- Research Scientist (Restoration Ecology)
Biodiversity Conservation Centre
Kattidj Close Kings Park Western Australia 6005
- (+61 8) 9480 3969
- (+61 8) 9480 3641
- Soil health and soil quality indicators
- Soil carbon dynamics (soil respiration and carbon sequestration)
- Links between soils and ecosystem functioning
- Restoration Ecology
- Fire impacts on soils
- Global environmental change
- 2012 PhD, University of Seville, Spain. Thesis title: Modelling soil carbon sequestration capacity in Mediterranean soils. Supervisors: Dr Antonio Jordan, Dr Lorena M. Zavala and Dr Maria Anaya.
- 2010 Master in Research, Development and Innovation Management, University of Almeria, Spain. Thesis title: Development of CarboSOIL model to evaluate soil carbon sequestration capacity in Andalusia soils. Integration of climate change mitigations factor in the MicroLEIS DSS. Supervisors: Dr Maria Anaya and Prof Diego de la Rosa.
- 2004 Master of Agricultural Engineering, University of Almeria, Spain. Thesis title: Land use dynamics and soil erosion risk in Sierra de Gádor. Supervisor: Dr Cecilio Oyonarte.
- 2002 Master of Environmental Sciences, Centre of Geo Information and Remote Sensing, Wageningen University, The Netherlands. Thesis title: Soil erosion assessment at different scale levels in the Cabo de Gata-Nijar Natural Park. Supervisor: Prof Joep Crompvoets.
- 2000 Bachelor of Agricultural Sciences, University of Almeria, Spain.
- Innovative nature-based strategies for drylands restoration: the potential of indigenous cyanobacteria (2018) Funding: UWA - Research Collaboration Awards. Collaborators: Prof David Eldridge (UNSW), Prof Albert Sole-Benet (EEZA-CSIC), Dr Yolanda Canton (University of Almeria, Spain), Dr Wendy Williams (UQ).
- Eco-engineering solutions to improve mine-site rehabilitation outcomes (2017 - 2021). Global Innovation Linkages Project. Collaborators: Dr Todd Erickson (UWA/BGPA), Dr David Merritt (UWA/BGPA), Dr Andrew Guzzomi (UWA), Dr Jeremy James (University of California), Dr Matt Madsen (Brigham Young University), Dr Scott Abella (University of Nevada). Industry partners: BHP Billiton Iron Ore, Rio Tinto, Greening Australia.
- Restoration Seedbank Initiative (2013 - 2018). Collaborators: Dr Todd Erickson (BGPA/UWA), Dr Shane Turner (BGPA/UWA), Dr David Merritt (BGPA), Prof Kingsley Dixon (BGPA/UWA). Industry partner: BHP Billiton Iron Ore.
- Connecting above and below-ground processes to restore functionality of arid lands: a comparison between Northern and Southern hemisphere ecosystems (2016). Collaborators: Prof. Albert Sole-Benet (EEZA-CSIC), Cecilio Oyonarte (University of Almeria, Spain), Lourdes Luna (EEZA-CSIC). Funding: UWA - Research Collaboration Awards.
- Soil water repellence in biodiverse semiarid environments: new insights and implications for ecological restoration (2015). Collaborators: Dr Antonio Jordan (University of Seville, Spain), Dr José Antonio González Perez (IRNAS-CSIC). Funding: UWA - Research Collaboration Awards.
- Fungicide resistance management strategy and communications (2013 - 2017). Collaborators: Dr Fran Lopez Ruiz (Curtin University), Prof Richard Oliver (Curtin University). Industry partner: Grain Research and Development Corporation.
- Vulnerability Assessment Report: Climate change effects on soils (2011 - 2013). Collaborators: Dr Maria Anaya Romero (Evenor Tech), Prof Diego de la Rosa (IRNAS-CSIC). Funding: Regional Ministry of Environment, Andalusian Government, Spain.
- Analysis of the impact of land use changes in recent decades in the potential flow of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystem services in Andalusia (2011 - 2012). Collaborators: Dr Maria Anaya Romero (Evenor Tech), Prof Diego de la Rosa (IRNAS-CSIC). Funding: Regional Ministry of Environment, Andalusian Government, Spain.
- Assessment of the Millennium Ecosystem in Andalusia, Regional Ministry of Environment (2010 - 2011). Collaborators: Dr Maria Anaya Romero (Evenor Tech), Prof Diego de la Rosa (IRNAS-CSIC). Funding: Regional Ministry of Environment, Andalusian Government, Spain.
- Obtaining indicators from soil profiles databases for application to regional climate modelling (2009 - 2011). Collaborators: Dr Antonio Jordan, Dr Lorena M Zavala, Dr Arturo Pascual Granged. Funding: Regional Ministry of Environment, Andalusian Government, Spain.
- Evolution of land use change in Andalusia from 1956 to 2007 through the land use and soil map in Andalusia (2009 - 2010). Collaborators: Dr Maria Anaya Romero (Evenor Tech), Prof Diego de la Rosa (IRNAS-CSIC). Funding: Regional Ministry of Environment, Andalusian Government, Spain.
- Data collection and information gathering for reference standards analysis of vegetation cover in Sierra de Gádor, Almería (2004 - 2005). Collaborators: Dr Cecilio Oyonarte. Funding: Regional Ministry of Environment, Andalusian Government, Spain.
- Technical criteria for the Natural Resources Management Plan and the Master Plan for Use and Management of Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park (2002 - 2004) Collaborators: Dr Cecilio Oyonarte. Funding: Regional Ministry of Environment, Andalusian Government, Spain.
Research associates and students
- Amber Bateman (PhD; 2017 - present) Soil amendments and their effects on plant recruitment and soil function in arid zone restoration. (Hons; UWA, 2015) Ecophysiological responses of arid zone species to novel growth mediums and drought: Implications for restoration success.
- Tayla Kneller (Hons; Curtin University, 2016 - 2017) Effects of native mulches as organic amendments on soil and plants; applications in dryland restoration.
- Luke Kitchens (Hons; Murdoch University, 2015) Characterising Hydrophobic Soils.
- Elisabeth Jiménez Compán (Hons; University of Seville, Spain, 2015) Analysis of the quantitative and qualitative changes in soil organic matter after fire: effects on soil microbial populations and influence of plant species.
- Rafaela Lima (International Undergraduate fellowship; Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 2014) Seedling emergence of native plant species in soil materials from mining sites.
M Muñoz-Rojas, SK Abd-Elmabod, LM Zavala, D de la Rosa and A Jordan, (2017) Climate change impacts on soil organic carbon stocks of Mediterranean agricultural areas: a case study in Northern Egypt. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 238:142–152.
B Lozano-Garcia B, M Muñoz-Rojas and L Parras-Alcantara (2017) Climate and land use changes effects on soil organic carbon stocks in a Mediterranean semi-natural area. Sciences of the Total Environment 579: 1249-1259.
A Bateman, W Lewandrowski, J Stevens and M Muñoz-Rojas (2016) Ecophysiological indicators to assess drought responses of arid zone native seedlings in reconstructed soils. Land Degradation and Development (in press, published online 29 December 2016) DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2660.
M Anaya-Romero, M Muñoz-Rojas, Beatriz Ibañez and Teodoro Marañon (2016) Evaluation of forest ecosystem services in Mediterranean areas. A regional case study in South Spain. Ecosystem Services DOI:10.1016/j.ecoser.2016.07.002.
M Muñoz-Rojas, T Erickson, D Martini, K Dixon and D Merritt (2016) Climate and soil factors influencing seedling recruitment of plant species used for dryland restoration. SOIL, 2, 1-11.DOI:10.5194/soil-2016-25.
N Alanis, VM Hernandez-Madrigal, A Cerda, M Muñoz-Rojas, LM Zavala and A Jordan (2016) Spatial gradients of intensity and persistence of soil water repellency under different forest types in Central Mexico. Land Degradation and Development. DOI:10.1002/ldr.2544.
M Muñoz-Rojas, T Erickson, K Dixon and D Merritt (2016). Soil quality indicators to assess functionality of restored soils in degraded semi-arid ecosystems. Restoration Ecology. DOI: 10.1111/rec.12368.
M Muñoz-Rojas, W Lewandrowski, T Erickson, K Dixon and D Merritt (2016). Soil respiration dynamics in fire affected semi-arid ecosystems: effects of vegetation type and environmental factors. Science of the Total Environment. DOI:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.02.086.
BA Willaarts, C Oyonarte, M Muñoz-Rojas, JJ Ibañez and PA Aguilera (2016) Environmental factors controlling soil organic carbon stocks in two contrasting Mediterranean-climate areas. Land degradation and Development, 27: 603–611.DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2417.
M Muñoz-Rojas, TE Erickson, D Martini, KW Dixon and DJ Merritt (2016). Soil physicochemical and microbiological indicators of short, medium and long term post-fire recovery in semi-arid ecosystems. Ecological indicators 63: 14-22.