Dr David Merritt
- Principal Research Scientist (Seed Science)
- (+61 8) 9480 3628
I am a seed scientist with interests that span seed physiology, ecology, and technology. My research aims to improve our ability to conserve seeds of wild plant species and to enhance our capacity for ecological restoration.
My research includes studies of seed survival and longevity in conservation seed banks and in the field, the environmental factors that regulate seed dormancy and germination, and the development of seed enhancement techniques to promote seedling establishment.
- Seed storage physiology and longevity
- Ecophysiology of seed dormancy and germination
- Seed persistence and soil seed banks
- Seed enhancement technologies
- Restoration ecology
- Innovative seed technologies for restoration in a biodiversity hotspotInnovative seed technologies for restoration in a biodiversity hotspot (2018 - 2023).
- Eco-engineering solutions to improve mine-site rehabilitation outcomes (2017 - 2021).
- The energetic basis to seed longevity and storage (2016 - 2019).
- Restoration Seedbank Initiative (2013 - 2018).
Visit the Seed Conservation section to learn more about the current projects.
Tangney R, Merritt, DJ, Fontaine J and Miller BP (2018) Seed moisture content as a primary trait regulating the lethal temperature thresholds of seeds. Journal of Ecology DOI: 10.1111/1365-2745.13095.
Saatkamp A, Cochrane A, Commander L, Guja LK, Jimenez-Alfaro B, et al. [Merritt DJ] (2018) A research agenda for seed-trait functional ecology. New Phytologist 221: 1764–1775.
Dalziell EL, Baskin CC, Baskin JM, Young RE, Dixon KW, Merritt DJ (2018) Morphophysiological dormancy in the basal angiosperm order Nymphaeales. Annals of Botany 123: 95-106.
Huss JC, Schoeppler V, Merritt DJ, Best C, Maire E, Adrien J, Spӓker O, Janssen N, Gladisch J, Gierlinger, N, Miller BP, Fratzl P and Eder M (2017) Climate-dependent heat-triggered opening mechanism of Banksia seed pods. Advanced Science 5: DOI:10.1002/advs.201700572.
Erickson TE, Muñoz-Rojas M, Kildisheva OA, Stokes BA, White SA, Heyes JL, Dalziell EL, Lewandrowski W, James JJ, Madsen MD, Turner SR and Merritt DJ (2017) Benefits of adopting seed-based technologies for rehabilitation in the mining sector: a Pilbara perspective. Australian Journal of Botany 65: 646–660.