Saw Avenue was opened in 1902. The road alignment formed part of original 1870s bridle trail leading from Subiaco to Crawley baths, where generations of Western Australians learnt to swim.
The area is named after Mr William Allnutt Saw. Mr Saw was a member of the Board from 1927-1949 and President from 1936-1945.
In 1938, the Subiaco Playground, now known as Saw Avenue Picnic Area, was grassed. Thanks to the generous support of Variety the Children's Charity of WA, the precinct was refurbished in 2009 with modern community facilities and an innovative nature based play area named Variety Place.
- Suited to
- Social and family functions, community groups, corporate functions, weddings, film and photography
- 250 people
- May Drive or Saw Avenue
- Easily accessed via May Drive or Saw Avenue
- Short walk to toilets
- Not available
- Scattered benches and tables
- Approximately 750 m to May Drive Parkland or 2 km to Fraser Avenue precinct
- Available to all park users; cannot be reserved as part of your booking
- Booking times
- Available 9.00 am - 6.00 pm daily
- Please contact the Bookings Officer
- Saw Avenue Picnic Area