The fascinating history of Kings Park
Discover the history and cultural significance of Kaarta Koomba (Kings Park) in this interactive walk through the WA Botanic Garden.
Learn how the Wadjuk Nyoongar people were guided by the six seasons and used plants and animals for food, shelter, tools and medicine. Through role-play, discuss the first European explorers to the Swan River Colony and consider changes that have taken place in Perth from early settlement to today.
'A great learning journey. The children were fascinated!' - Year 5 Teacher
By the end of this program students will:
- Discover the history of Kings Park
- Understand the importance of Kings Park to Nyoongar people
- Discover how Nyoongars used plants and animals for food, medicine and shelter
- Learn the story of the first Europeans to reach this land through dramatisation
- Create a journey stick to record their personal journey through Kings Park and Botanic Garden.
You may also be interested in a Nyoongar glossary for local Aboriginal words that are used within this website.
Location: Pioneer Women's Memorial Area
Bookings are essential and fees apply.