The Kings Park Festival is a long-running tradition to celebrate spring and the wonderful wildflowers that appear throughout the south-west of Western Australia during this time.
From its humble beginnings as a five day event in 1964, depicting plant specimens in jars on trestle tables, the festival has blossomed into the current format of floral displays, live music, exhibitions, workshops, interpretive artworks, guided walks and family activities during the entire month of September.
A bumper wildflower season thrilled visitors and provided the perfect backdrop to the Kings Park Festival in September 2016. Kings Park and Botanic Garden was a kaleidoscope of colour, showcasing the world's biggest and best display of Western Australia's famous wildflowers from every region of the state.
The 2016 Kings Park Festival was proudly presented by the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority and the Friends of Kings Park with the generous support of Lotterywest.
'Crown of the Festival' weekend
During the Crown of the Festival weekend, visitors were treated to Mystérieuses Coiffures hair wizardry shows, direct from France and exclusive to the 2016 Kings Park Festival, during which lucky members of the audience were picked to receive their own magical floral hairdos from hair wizard Christophe Pavia and his muse Adélaïde Daraspe.
Christophe created elaborate native wildflower headpieces, flower crowns and magical hairstyles, and the duo put on a phenomenal show bursting with floral flair. Other Crown of the Festival entertainment included acoustic music, stanzas in the sunshine by resident poet Nandi Chinna, the Floral Fantasy Fashion Collection and Kings Park's famous Adorable Florable wildflower characters.
Other Festival Highlights
- Free and fascinating guided walks and talks exploring Kings Park, Bold Park and WA flora.
- Perth's best native plant sale, thanks to the Friends of Kings Park.
- The Future Keepers macro photography outdoor exhibition, which offered an up-close and creative view of Western Australian wildflower seeds.
- Community project Map My Story, our larger than life Kings Park map covered in visitor stories.
- Artists in residence at Aspects of Kings Park.
- The Floral Fantasy Fashion Collection, creative outfits made entirely from native flora.
- Acoustic music, the beloved Adorable Florables and much more.
In the media
720 ABC Perth: From little things: Kings Park puts seeds under microscope for annual spring festival - 8 September 2016.
720 ABC Perth: Roots and Shoots with Grady Brand and Sabrina Hahn - 10 September 2016.
Find out about future events by viewing the events calendar, catch up with all the Kings Park news and highlights by subscribing to our e-newsletter or through our social media stream, and stay tuned for another fantastic Festival in 2017!