Due to very high fire danger conditions, Naturescape is closed and Kings Park afternoon guided walks are cancelled.

Read more...

Kings Park and Botanic Garden has more memorials, statues and honour avenues than any other park in Australia.

The self-guided memorial walk takes in stunning views of the Swan River and Perth's central business district as visitors pass the State War Memorial, entrance to the Western Australian Botanic Garden and Lotterywest Federation Walkway and back to the restaurant precinct.

Official requests for the addition of new memorials are referred to the Authority's Memorials Policy.

A selection of Kings Park's memorials are detailed below, with further information detailed in Dororthy Erickson's 'A Joy Forever.'

Kings Park Memorials

Lord John Forrest memorialJohn Forrest

This statue honours the first Premier of Western Australia and the first President of the Kings Park Board. He became Surveyor General in 1883 with the retirement of Malcolm Fraser and officially named the gazetted public area as Perth Park in 1895. He passed away in September, 1918, with the memorial unveiled in August, 1928. In his time, he doubled the size of the reserve, sought funding for the park and influenced the first years of design and planning.

Aerial photo of the State War MemorialState War Memorial Precinct

The State War Memorial Cenotaph is easily identified along Perth's skyline and is one of Kings Park's most iconic features. The site was selected on the bluff of Mt Eliza in 1926 after much negotiation with the Perth City Council, Premier and various committees, with the construction completed for the State’s Centenary in 1929. The Court of Contemplation, Flame of Remembrance, Pool of Reflection and ANZAC Bluff feature within this precinct. The State War Memorial attracts over 40,000 visitors for the annual ANZAC Day Dawn Service. Read more about the State War Memorial.

Pioneer Women's Memorial fountainPioneer Women's Memorial

The bronze sculpture, ornamental lake and fountains serve as a centre-piece for the Western Australian Botanic Garden. The iconic nine foot bronze sculpture was formally opened in January 1968, reputed to be the largest undertaken in Australia at the time. The figure represents a mother with an infant in her arms, stepping forth to meet her destiny. It stands on a stepping stone in the pond surrounded by five other stepping stones and fountains, and is the centre piece of the Water Garden. Read more about the Pioneer Women's Memorial.

10th Light Horse Memorial10th Light Horse Memorial

The 10th Light Horse was the only Western Australian cavalry regiment in World War 1. The Infantry was formed in 1900 and served in Sinai, Palestine, Jordan and Syria. The force was disbanded in 1919. The memorial honours the fallen 301 men from this regiment and was unveiled in April, 1921. Each ANZAC Day, the unit lays a sheaf of wheat in honour of the regiment’s horses.

South African War memorialSouth African War Memorial

Previously known as the Fallen Solder’s Memorial, this was the first war memorial erected in Kings Park. It honours Western Australian soldiers killed in the Boer War (1899-1902). The foundation stone was laid by Kings George V in 1901 and the completed memorial was unveiled in September 1902. It was one of the largest and most impressive memorials in Australia at the time and remained the most important symbol of sacrifice until the unveiling of the State War Memorial in 1929.

Queen Victoria statueQueen Victoria Statue

The Queen Victoria Statue was gifted to the city of Perth by Hackett and Allen Stoneham, local and London mining entrepreneur in 1902. It was a replica of another made for the Examination Hall of the Royal College of Surgeons, with the Queen’s robes given to the sculptor to copy the lace into the Carrara marble. The veil was also created in likeness of the Queen’s wedding veil. The memorial was unveiled in October, 1903.

Floral Clock Floral Clock

A bequest from Mr F. Wittenoom, a Western Australian pastoralist, was used to build a floral clock that was unveiled in 1962. The landmark was removed in 2011 to allow for landscape improvements. It has been reinstated 200 metres south of its previous location, near the Western Australian Botanic Garden entry. The 2013 design features Australian plants as the roman numerals and a range of Western Australian native plants around the perimeter and in the clock centre.

HMS Queen Elizabeth shellsHMS Queen Elizabeth Shells

The HMS Queen Elizabeth bomb shell was originally used to collect donations for the maintenance of the Honour Avenues. The collection box consists of thirteen shell casings including a fifteen inch projectile from HMS Queen Elizabeth that served at ANZAC Cove from 1914-18. It was unveiled in August 1921.

Leake memorial fountainLeake Memorial Fountain

The Leake Memorial Fountain was erected in honour of George Leake who became Premier of Western Australia in 1901. It was designed in a Byzantine style by Technical School art master J.W.R. Linton and was unveiled in July 1904. It was funded through a bequest by Mrs Leake, who specifically requested a marble drinking fountain for the Park.

2/16th Battalion memorial2/16th Battalion Memorial

The 2/16 Battalion Memorial is located north of the Cenotaph. It honours the men of this battalion who fought in Syria, New Guinea and Borneo in WWII. It is flanked on either side by a plaque for the first 16th placed in 2003.

Kokoda Track memorial plaqueKokoda Memorial Plaque

The Kokoda Track Memorial was placed on the slope of Mt Eliza in 2001. It commemorates all units who served on the Kokoda Track in WWII.

Jewish War memorialJewish War Memorial

The Jewish War Memorial was erected in 1920 to honour soldiers of the Jewish faith who died in WWI. The monument was designed by sculptor Pietro Porcelli. It consists of an Ionic column of Donnybrook stone rising from a granite base and crowned by a globe of copper bearing the Star of David. A plaque was added in 1953 to commemorate those who died in WWII.

Tobruk memorialTobruk Memorial

First dedicated in 1966, this memorial is similar in design to the Australian memorial which once stood at the Tobruk War Cemetry in Libya. It honours the 'Rats of Tobruk' who defended Tobruk during the siege by German and Italian armies in 1941. The marble of the Tobruk name-plate came from a building in Tobruk. A time capsule lies beneath the memorial.

Dr Arnold Cook memorialDr Arnold Cook Memorial

Dr Arnold Cook who became totally blind at the age of 18 years, pioneered the famous Guide Dog movement in Australia. The site was dedicated on 15 October 1986 by the Governor, Professor Gordon Reid, and the memorial unveiled by Mrs Ruth Reid on 4 December 1989. Greg James was the sculptor.

Bali memorialBali Memorial

The Bali Memorial is dedicated to Western Australians who died, or were injured, in the Bali terrorist attacks on 12 October 2002. It honours the courage and support provided by many individual volunteers and organisations following the incident. It was officially dedicated on 12 October 2003.