The Authority welcomes those wishing to participate in healthy activities and has a number of ovals and grassed areas suitable for fitness groups within Kings Park and Botanic Garden.
All commercial fitness activities require written permission from the Authority and must comply with the Terms and Conditions and Botanic Gardens and Parks Regulations 1999. Failure to comply may result in a penalty of up $1500 and / or the fitness trainer being prohibited from operating in Kings Park and Botanic Garden. Our regulations limit the impact of Fitness Training on fellow park visitors, nearby residents and the general conservation of Kings Park and Botanic Garden.
No booking is required for individuals to participate in recreational activities such as jogging, walking or cycling.
- Fees and charges apply to all fitness trainers operating a business, and organised fitness groups wishing to use Kings Park, from 1 September 2015. Bookings are essential and groups should not exceed 25 participants. Organisers must provide valid proof of public liability insurance.
- Fitness training is not permitted in the Western Australian Botanic Garden, State War Memorial Precinct or off bushland tracks.
- Fitness training is limited to approved areas, including the Broadwalk Vista, Exhibition Ground, Fraser Avenue Lawn North (available October - April), Hale Oval, Kings Park Road Precinct and Saw Avenue Lawn East (refer to Hire Venues).
- Parking in Kings Park is freely provided for the exclusive use of park visitors. Jacob's Ladder is not within Kings Park - it is owned and managed by the Perth City Council. Penalties apply for parking in Kings Park and leaving to use Jacob's Ladder.
- The use of memorials, trees and other park infrastructure such as park benches for fitness training is inappropriate and prohibited.
- The use of fitness equipment is subject to written approval by the Authority. Gym apparatus such as bench presses, rowing machines, ropes, steppers or weight bars are not permitted. Dragging of equipment over turf is prohibited. Nothing, including fitness equipment, is to be hung or otherwise attached to any structures, signs or trees, or staked into the ground.
- All fitness groups must be mindful of nearby residents and other park visitors. Whistles, amplified music, shouting and other loud behaviour is prohibited.
Booking application and fees
Groups or individuals wishing to run activities, or hold functions or events in Kings Park are required to go through our Bookings Office to make a booking for the area they wish to use. All bookings in Kings Park, regardless of the type of activity, incur a booking / venue fee. This is also applicable to fitness groups.
There has been a grace period for fees relating to fitness groups while we assessed the demand and impact. This grace period is now coming to an end. Therefore, in line with all other bookings that are made by groups using Kings Park, booking fees will apply from 1 September 2015. Further details will be available shortly.
Organisers wishing to book fitness training in the interim should contact the Bookings Officer for assistance.
Please contact the Bookings Officer for further information.