Fraser Avenue leads the visitor from Kings Park Road, West Perth into the major tourist and restaurant precinct. A short walk takes visitors to the State War Memorial and Western Australian Botanic Garden entrance.
Named after the first Surveyor-General of Perth, Malcolm Fraser, this century old tree-lined avenue is one of the most visited sites in Perth.
An avenue of red-flowering gums (Corymbia ficifolia) was planted along Fraser Avenue to honour Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1898. Two more rows of red-flowering gums were planted to celebrate the State Centenary in 1929 and plaques placed at their bases to recognise the Centennial Committee.
Most trees succumbed to patch-canker disease and were replaced by lemon-scented gums (Corymbia citriodora) in 1938 from the east coast of Australia. During the 1970s the lemon-scented gums flourished. Today, the interlocking canopies form a majestic avenue that provide a well-photographed entry statement to Kings Park and Botanic Garden.
Print friendly version: Fraser Avenue Precinct Venues 354.90 KB.