This is a Kings Park Story of a little Magpie.
Hello Zippy Adventurers! How are you today?
How did you go with making your own Zippy dragonflies? Check out Activity 1 if you missed this fun project.
Today, you’ll meet Nyinny Kulbardi – the little magpie! Listen to this Kings Park story written by Ricky and Charlotte and narrated by Emma and then have a go at our fun activity below!
Make your own Nyinny Kulbardi and nest
You can make your own Nyinny Kulbardi from things you find at home.
We used play dough to create our Nyinny Kulbardi but you could use salt dough - see the recipe below.
Why don’t you try making a nest using natural materials that you find outside? What do birds use to build their nests? Maybe small twigs and leaves, or even grass or mud? Some birds even use large branches. What can you find around your place to build a nest?
Make sure to check the slideshow for ideas and inspiration as well as pictures of Nyinny Kulbardi and his friends!
Salt dough recipe
You will need:
- Four cups of flour
- One cup of warm water
- Black food colouring
- Two teaspoons of canola or vegetable oil
- One and a half cups of salt
- Three mixing bowls
You will need to make two mixtures – one that is black and one that is not coloured. The mixture with no colour will be used for making Nyinny Kulbardi’s features including his wings, beak and eyes, plus his nest.
What to do:
- Pour half a cup of the warm water into one bowl and half cup into the other bowl.
- Add four to five drops of black food colouring into one bowl.
- Pour one teaspoon of oil into the black coloured bowl.
- Now pour one teaspoon of oil into the non-coloured bowl.
- In a separate third bowl mix the flour and salt together.
- Place half of the salt and flour mixture into the black coloured bowl and put the other half of the mixture into the non-coloured mixture bowl.
- Mix the ingredients of each bowl together so it forms a dough.
- Gently sprinkle flour on a board.
- Place the black mixture onto the board and knead until it is smooth. Do the same with the other mixture.
- When they are both ready you can start making your little magpie and nest.
Share with us
We would love to see the Zippy you made meeting his new bushland friend Nyinny Kulbardi!
Share your photos to the Kings Park Home Delivery Facebook group or use the hashtag #KingsParkHomeDelivery on Instagram.
Join us for more Zippy’s Kings Park Adventurers in the coming weeks.