Tawny and the Bushfire
Learning about fire in the bush.
Every summer our urban bushland is under the threat of fire. This interactive story about a real bushfire in Kings Park is told through the eyes of Tawny Frogmouth.
Learn about the effects of fire on our unique Banksia woodland and how the plants and animals cope after fire. The program includes a visit from a Kings Park firefighter.
'The highlight was seeing the children so engaged with nature.' - Kindergarten Teacher
- Learn about the role of fire in the bushland ecosystem, including its positive and negative effects on the environment.
- Participate in bush games on fire behaviour, Tawny Frogmouth and the role of our firefighters.
- Meet and ask questions with a Kings Park firefighter.
Primary School Programs (Kindergarten to Year 6)
$10 per student
$150 minimum booking fee
- All prices include GST
- Minimum booking fees apply
- Teachers and supervising adults are free of charge
- Payment can be made via electronic funds transfer (EFT) or credit card
- You will receive an email confirming your booking once we have received and processed your completed application form.
- You will receive a tax invoice within one week of your excursion. Please confirm any changes to student numbers before the day of your excursion.
- Kings Park Education reserves the right to cancel a booking at any time.
How to book
Please note during school term-time group visits to Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park must be in conjunction with a Kings Park Education program booking.
- Select your program and preferred date
- Email your enquiry to the Kings Park Education Booking Officer
Please include the year group and number of students
- Submit the Primary Program Booking Request form
- Check your confirmation email to ensure your booking details are correct. All changes must be requested in writing
- Please see Excursion Information tab to plan your visit
Bookings are essential for all excursions to Kings Park, including guided and self-guided programs and special events. Bookings are also required for all informal visits by school groups (including picnics and playtime) to ensure your safety in an emergency.
We recommend making your booking at least one month in advance, due to the popularity of our programs.
Please bring enough adults to ensure student safety. The recommended adult to student ratio for Kings Park Education excursions are:
- Kindergarten 1:4
- PP - Year 2 1:5
- Year 3-6 1:6
- Year 7-8 1:10
- Year 9-10 1:15
- Year 11-12 1:30
Arrive at least 20 minutes before your program is due to start. Please note, your program will be cut short if you are late.
Provide students and adult helpers with advice on suitable outdoor clothing and items to bring. We recommend students wear their sports uniforms, closed-in shoes, a hat, and bring a raincoat in case of wet weather. Please bring water bottles, lunch/recess, insect repellent, sunscreen and a first aid kit. To prevent foraging by hungry birds we recommend students use individual backpacks.
Kings Park Education is a popular choice for school excursions.
Please take care when selecting your program and booking date as some, or all, of the fees may still apply if you chose to cancel the booking.
If you do decide to cancel the booking, please provide at least 30 days’ notice for school programs so that we can offer another group the opportunity to visit.
Unless there are exceptional circumstances, failure to provide the required notice will incur a minimum booking fee of $150.00 per class. Schools that do not provide any notice of cancellation and fail to attend on the day will be charged the full booking fee.
Kings Park and Botanic Garden and Bold Park are outdoor venues. Programs will go ahead in most weather conditions. In cases of Severe Weather Warnings, Total Fire Bans or Extreme or Catastrophic Fire Danger Ratings, Kings Park Education programs and events may be cancelled prior to or on the day of the excursion by the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority (BGPA). In this instance the BGPA will contact all booked groups. If the program cannot be rescheduled to another date, a full refund will be provided.
In cases of a Severe Weather Warning, Total Fire Ban, Extreme or Catastrophic Fire Danger Rating, Rio Tinto Naturescape Kings Park and Bold Park will be closed to all visitors.